Dr. Ryan J. Longman joined the East-West Center’s Research Program as a Fellow in November 2019 and has just recently joined the Pacific Islands Development Program. Prior working at the EWC, he completed his Ph.D. and M.A. degrees in Geography at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM). Since graduation, he has worked as a Lecturer within the UH system, where he has taught classes on climate, water resources, and the natural environment. He has also worked as research scientist on a wide range of projects related to climate science including the development of rainfall and temperature maps for Hawai‘i. Dr. Longman serves as affiliate faculty member for the Water Resources Research Center at UHM. Between October 2018 and September 2019, Dr. Longman assisted in the development and delivery of a specialized project-preparation training course on climate change adaptation and climate finance that has been conducted in 10-Pacific Island Nations. He continues to work on projects that focus on building resilience and adapting to climate change in the Pacific.
- PhD, Geography, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2015
- MA, Geography, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2011
- BA, Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2007
Recent Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Frazier, A.F., Giardina, C.P., Giambelluca, T.W., Brewington, L., Chen, Y-L., Chen, P-S., Fortini, L.B., Hall, D., Helweg, D.A., Keener, V.W., Longman, R.J., Lucas, M.P., Mair, A, Oki, D.S. , Reys, J.J., Yelenik, S.G., Trauernicht, C., A century of spatial and temporal patterns of drought in Hawaiʻi across hydrological, ecological, and socioeconomic scales, Sustainability
- Longman, R.J.; Frazier, A.G.; Giardina, C.P.; Parsons, E.W.; McDaniel, S. (2022) The Pacific Drought Knowledge Exchange: A Co-Production Approach to Deliver Climate Resources to User Groups. Sustainability, 14, 10554.
- Huang, Y-F. Tsang, Y-P., Gayte, M. Longman, R.J. Nugent, A., Kodama, K., Lucas, M. and Giambelluca., T.W., Hourly rainfall data from rain gauge networks and weather radar up to 2020 across the Hawaiian Islands. Scientific Data. 9(334)
- Adhikari, M. Longman R.J., Giambelluca, T.W., Lee, C.N., and He, Y. Climate Change Impacts and Shifting Landscape of Dairy Industry in Hawai‘i, Translational Animal Science. 6(2).
- Lucas, M. P., R. J. Longman, T. W. Giambelluca, A. F. Frazier, J. Mclean, S. B. Clevland, Y. Haung, and J. H. Lee, (2022). Optimizing automated kriging to improve spatial interpolation of monthly rainfall over complex terrain. J. Hydrometeorol. (In Press).
- Longman R.J., Peterson, C. L., Baroli, M., Frazier, A. F., Cook, Z., Parsons, E. W. Dina, M., Kamelamela, K. L., Steele, C., Burnett, R., Swanston, C. and Giardina, C. P. (2022). Climate Adaptation for Tropical Island Land Stewardship: Adapting a Workshop Planning Process to Hawai‘i Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 103 (2). (https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-21-0163.1)
- Mclean, J., Cleveland S.B., Dodge II M., Lucas M.P., Longman R.J., Giambelluca T.W., and G. Jacobs G.A. (2021). Building a portal for climate data-mapping automation, visualization, and dissemination. Concurr. Comput. Pract. Exp. (https://doi.org/10.1002/cpe.6727)
- Longman, R.J., Elison Timm, O., Giambelluca, T.W., and Kaiser L., (2021). A 20-year analysis of disturbance-driven rainfall on Oʻahu, Hawai‘i. Monthly Weather Review,146(6), 1767-1783.( https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-20-0287.1)
- Xue, L., Wang, Y., Newman, A.J. Ikeda, K, Rasmussen, R.M., Giambelluca, T.W., Longman, R.J., Monaghan, A.J., Clark, M.P., and Arnold, J.R., (2020). How will rainfall change over Hawai‘i in the future? High-resolution regional climate simulation of the Hawaiian Islands. Bulletin of Atmospheric Science and Technology, 118, 1-32. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s42865-020-00022-5)
- McLean, J.H., Cleveland, S.B., Lucas, M.P., Longman R.J. Giambelluca., T.W., Leigh, J., and Jacobs., J.A., (2020). The Hawai‘i Rainfall Analysis and Mapping Application (HI-RAMA): Decision Support and Data Visualization for Statewide Rainfall Data. Practice and Experience in Advanced Research Computing. 239-245. (https://doi.org/10.1145/3311790.3396668)
- Longman, R.J., Newman, A.J. Giambelluca, T.W. Lucas, M., (2020). Characterizing the uncertainty and assessing the value of gap-filled daily rainfall data in Hawai‘i. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 59 (7), 1261-1276. (https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-20-0007.1)
- Nugent, A.D., Longman, R.J., Trauernicht, C., Lucas, M.P, Diaz, H.F. Giambelluca, T.W., (2020). Fire and Rain: The Legacy of Hurricane Lane in Hawai‘i, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (E954-E967). (https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-19-0104.1)
For full publication list, please see: https://www.eastwestcenter.org/about-ewc/directory/ryan.longman