Kiribati Independent Newspaper Will Continue Operations
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, Feb. 5, 2013) – The editor of a Kiribati newspapershut down last year by the government says he is not going to change the sort of stories he publishes.
The Kiribati Independent closed last June to allow police to investigate complaints that it had breached the Newspaper Registration Act.
Taberannang Korauaba says although he has not heard anything from the government since it ordered the paper’s closure, his lawyers have assured him that it is safe to resume operations.
He says it is his view that the government considers the paper to be against it - but that is not the case.
"We are media and we are small, you know we are a small island nation and the government as we know has been, is very new to a form of operation that we’re going to publish stories against the government. But I’m sure they will get used to it and we’re still going to do what a newspaper should do."
Taberannang Korauaba says readers are obviously happy with the paper because last month’s initial print run of 500 copies has sold out.
Radio New Zealand International:www.rnzi.com
Copyright © 2013 RNZI. All Rights Reserved
Go back to Pacific Islands Report