Two Additional Suicide Attempts Reported On Nauru
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, Nov. 29, 2012) – An activist fighting for the rights of asylum seekers on Nauru says there have been two suicide attempts in the past two days.
The Refugee Action Coalition’s Ian Rintoul says an attempted hanging today - the second such attempt in two days - followed a series of self-harm incidents, fights and scuffles on Wednesday.
The Iranian man who attempted suicide today has been taken to the medical centre.
At least five detainees were removed from the detention centre yesterday are remain in custody away from the camp.
Some detainees have claimed they’ve been beaten by the Wilson Security guards working at the Australian run camp.
At least 19 people remain on hunger strike while Mr. Rintoul says there is no news of the Iranian man, Omid Sorouseh, who has been starving himself for nearly 50 days and was taken earlier this week to Nauru hospital.
Radio New Zealand International:www.rnzi.com
Copyright © 2012 RNZI. All Rights Reserved
Go back to Pacific Islands Report