Refugee Advocate Calls For Australian Intervention In Nauru
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, Nov. 9, 2012) – A campaigner on behalf of the Australian asylum seekers on Nauru says a hunger strike has entered its ninth day, amid reports the island’s medical centre is increasing its level of intervention.
Ian Rintoul of the Australian Refugee Action Coalition says around 300 people remain on a mass hunger strike.
He says there are unconfirmed reports the medical centre has begun using nastrogastric feeding for some of the hunger strikers, when previously they have relied on glucose drips to rehydrate people.
Mr Rintoul says there are also growing concerns regarding the health of an Iranian man in the 29th day of his hunger strike.
He says the deteriorating situation on Nauru demands that the Australian Minister of Immigration urgently intervene.
Radio New Zealand International:www.rnzi.com
Copyright © 2012 RNZI. All Rights Reserved
Go back to Pacific Islands Report